Braeside, Cullivoe, Yell
View of Braeside from public road
View from Braeside
Rear of property
Plan of Braeside and Hill Land
This now uninhabitable property comprises two mains parts, one of which has been previously sub-divided. It is situated on the western shore of Bluemull Sound, on 3 ½ acres of land (with a further 2 acres of hill land) and has a view across the Sound to the Island of Unst. It is conveniently situated for the Cullivoe Primary School & Community Hall and, being Shetland’s largest Island after the Mainland, Yell offers a wide variety of scenery, agriculture and wildlife, as well as a Junior High School & Leisure Centre.
|EPC Rating:||Not Applicable|
|Price:||Offers Over £10,000 (Valuation)|
|VIEWING:||Contact Our Reception|
|HOME REPORT:||Not Applicable|
The property was a Former School and School House in terrace, with principal elevation to east, comprising single storey and attic 3 bay teacher’s house and school room of circa 1827 to north, with mid 19th century single storey and attic 3 bay teacher’s house added to south. This is currently listed as a Category C property.
These buildings form an interesting group of local importance on the hillside above Greenbank and is a rare example of an early 19th century parish school. The ridge stack, differently sized windows, and roof lights suggest the exterior of the earlier part to the north was originally much as it appears now with a schoolroom and teacher’s living area on the ground floor and small bedroom in the attic. The later concrete porch suggest there may have been a separate entrance door for the teacher’s accommodation to the outer left of the elevation. The purpose of the later building to the south was likely to have been to provide better accommodation for the teacher. The other building was probably adapted at this time to cater for an increase in pupil numbers.
John J. Graham notes in his book that the school here was built in 1827 as a parish school and that North Yell and Fetlar parish, where the building is situated, was the last parish in Shetland to establish a school. The first teacher, a Mr William Craigie who came from Fetlar, was very unhappy with the poor state of the building, as the roof leaked and the school room was dark. Although the building conformed to a standard plan of schoolhouses of the early 19th century, it had been built to ‘as limited dimensions as the law allows’ (Graham, 1998). The book notes that the building was repaired in the 1830s. The school was replaced by a Board School in 1879.
There is a mains water supply and an old septic tank is situated within the grounds of the property.
Electricity was never installed but there are Hydro poles situated nearby.
The main park is compromised by a boggy area which runs right across the park at the dip between the house and the public road.
As the property is uninhabitable and beyond economic repair, other than on a DIY/self-help basis there is no Home Report.
NB. The floor in one section of the property is not sound and entry is at the viewer’s risk.
The property is the former School and School House. The 2 acres of hill land was allocated to the property for use of the then School Master by a division of the Commonty or Scattald of Brough in a case Mouat & Cameron –v– Earl of Zetland and Others signeted 25 October 1867, and are situated on the south west of the Loch of Brough and can be accessed by a peat road/track partly surfaced.
While these contents and particulars described here are believed to be correct, they do not form part of any contract and are not warranted.
If you are interested in the property you can request a home report.
For any general advice or help about any of our properties or other services please Contact Us